One of the most common questions that my YouTube channel gets in the comments is how to fix issues with microphones and/or cameras not being allowed to be used by apps. Ever since 2015 when Apple introduced System Integrity Protection (SIP for short) in OS X El Capitan, users have been having trouble getting their macOS system to allow them to use various parts of their hardware or software.
The video above aims to try giving some other possible solutions to the issue. Here’s a summary of what’s in the video:
1) Reset NVRAM or PRAM
Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart. Apple Support Doc.
2) Check if SIP – System Integrity Protection – is Disabled
- Terminal window:
- If you get
System Integrity Protection status: disabledyou have to re-enable it.
- Restart your Mac in recovery mode. (Before OS X starts up, hold down Command-R and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. Release. This boots you into Recovery.)
- In Recovery mode, Utilities menu, select Terminal and type:
- Reboot into normal mode and apps should start asking for permissions.
3) Reset All Permissions for Camera / Microphone:
Make sure you quit all open applications, then
Open up terminal and type:
tccutil reset Camera
tccutil reset Microphone
You can try restarting your Mac just to be safe.
4) Get Rid of Application Support Permissions
~/Library/Application\\ Support/com.apple.TCC to the trash.
Other Videos With Possible Solutions:
I’ve recorded two other videos with possible solutions for this issue:
- How to Fix Discord Audio Permissions on macOS Catalina – Terminal TCCUTIL Method – with related bundleID lists here.
- How to Fix Mic Permissions on macOS with Discord and Other Apps If You Said “No!”
Apps Mentioned in the Video
💃🏽 Join the Lemon community!
Instructions on how to join my Discord at LemonAudio.club.
If you’ve got questions or it’s not working for you, leave a comment below.
Want More Tutorials?
Leave a comment below if you’ve got a suggestion for the next video tutorial I should make!
I’ve installed VIA application for video conference, like zoom and teams, I’m not able give it access to the camera.
No one of the steps above helped.
Do you know hoe to do it?
Yay, I’ve fixed it. I came across this database browser for Sqlite – sqlitebrowser. I used it to add chrome’s bundle ID to the access table of the database at
hi can u teach us how to do it?
OMG Thank you so much even an hour long call with the Apple Support couldn’t help me ! This helped instantly – thank you so much !
Awesome! Glad I could help you out!
I can’t see apps under microphone and camera there’s no option to switch on and off please assist nun of these worked I’m using Macbook pro 2012
not work for me..please help me..i can’t use logic pro for my work..
My Mic and Camera work fine with Facetime but not with Google Meet etc. App permissions don’t show in camera app permissions under privacy and security. Ventura 13.3.1